My photo-skills are not very good, sorry.
It's really more greyish and on some parts its mirror or chrome-like.
I joined some more picture.
It appears on all 122P224 I have. Always on the same parts of the tube : on
the bottom part and along the wires. The thing is, that some nixies are
from Sphere, sold as used and some from eBay, supposed to be NOS...
They all look the same!

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-XhK_qmj7wv8/VuMEj7ndfmI/AAAAAAAAAmc/aaFxxe69nxoUleHVTbDenbur_IkqugxTQ/s1600/IMG_0011.jpg>

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-0XBUu2g6KT0/VuMEg4pkfvI/AAAAAAAAAmY/WADxYsWkUA8neZfy4jIv45lOCWuJhx1qQ/s1600/IMG_0010.jpg>

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ErYG9sBers8/VuMEc9qvlyI/AAAAAAAAAmU/uqGZWFHhSO0_nT-0y0R2kH8CNpKulNYFA/s1600/IMG_0009.jpg>