Unless they come wrapped in original boxes, then that's a hard thing to
determine. Even then, you have to take the seller's word for it. If all the
digits illuminate well at the rated voltage and current and there's no
visible darkening or mirroring (this can be quite obvious in well used
nixies), then that's as good as it's going to get I think. There are some
used tubes that will still last years and years and some that don't last
long at all (IN-1's, IN-2's...in my experience...).