I had some 7971's from the late 60's from Poly Packs, back when the "ebay"
of the day was the back pages of camera and electronics magazines. Yep, I
wish that I had bought a bunch.  Who knew?

In the case of the auction that was originally mentioned on eBay, I agree
with a previous comment that there is some monkey-business going on with
the seller and his supposed "bidders".  I suppose that his idea is that if
you make it look like something is in high demand at a high price, then it
becomes a valuable reality.  I do think that a great deal of the real nixie
market actually lives on this forum and I give people credit for being
smarter than that.  The 7971 tubes have a going rate of $75 to $110 based
on the last several years.  There are a few outliers on each side of the
price range but most are right in there.  The current listing of $380 for
two B7971's is from a couple "low count" and a zero history seller.  They
are either a scam or they are incredibly naive about how to throw away
money.  At that price, I have some to sell.

The other interesting nixie is the Z586/Z5860.  These are the nixies that
Dalibor Farny has revived and we are seeing a few people trying to get $80
for defective tubes or $300+ for NOS.  These were in the $150 -$200 range
just a year ago and I don't think that they have suddenly gone short
supply.  I do think that the supply is limited but I also believe that
there are a few vendors trying to drive up the price.

It's not surprising that everyone has started to rediscover how cool nixie
displays really are.  There is no such thing as "too much" of the soft
orange glow of a glass display tube!