Although not related to faces ... and now I am thinking of  Levinas - this
discussion reminds me of Gebser
in Ever Present ORigin and the idea that the mental stage of development
(including perspective) began when Petrach climbed Mount Ventoux in 1336 -
Gebser says this is the first time someone climbed a mountain to see the
view (which I doubt - but I do find the analysis poetic and interesting)

Meredith
https://www.systempoetics.com