From: NetBehaviour <netbehaviour-boun...@lists.netbehaviour.org> on behalf of
Max Herman via NetBehaviour <netbehaviour@lists.netbehaviour.org>
Sent: Friday, October 29, 2021 11:50 AM
To: netbehaviour@lists.netbehaviour.org <netbehaviour@lists.netbehaviour.org>
Cc: Max Herman <maxnmher...@hotmail.com>; Anthony Stephenson
<aps0l...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [NetBehaviour] Ontological Banding

Hi Anthony,

That is a very interesting idea from Heydenreich, who I've never read and don't
really know anything about though the name sounds familiar.  I did read
somewhere that Leonardo's Arno Valley is sometimes considered the first true
landscape, but I am too uneducated in art history to know if that holds true.
It would jibe with what I think I know of Leonardo, and I do know that he dated
that sketch very prominently as in "I drew this sketch of the Arno Valley on
October 27, 1481, signed, Leonardo da Vinci" or something like that which is
atypical for him (and a little blockchainesque in that he used the "notarial"
vocabulary of his father and grandfather who were notaries i.e. writers of
official contracts).  One of my goals is to understand better if that sketch
does qualify as the first landscape, because if it does it means a lot to how I
would understand Leonardo.  I'll have to look up Heydenreich; one of the most
interesting present-day scholars of Leonardo I've found is Joost Keizer of
Groningen University.  He focuses a lot on Leonardo's use of word, text, and
allegory, seeing a lot of very modern (as opposed to proto-modern) themes and
structures.  I can't say if Keizer is 100% correct or not on all points -- who
ever is -- but his assertions are definitely interesting.

The idea of face as landscape is also super interesting.  I would be very
curious to know if Deleuze wrote about the ML in particular,  but that idea is
very prominent in the Leonardiana (i.e. that the person mirrors/echoes/reflects
the rock and water landscape) which is a funny word that means "writings about
Leonardo."

Re this idea of face and landscape, it resonates with the interesting
"Uninvited" project announced by Furtherfield as well as the rather dystopian
morphisms of certain social media conglomerates in the news.  Perhaps another
correlation could be found between the "spirit of the tree," a kind of identity
or perceptual counterpart, and the setting of Finsbury Park in the "Based on a
Tree Story" project?

I tend to range far too much on such comparisons but sometimes they are
interesting or echo patterns that seem possibly relevant.  In the relatively
cold climate I live in the leaves are all changing drastically this week and a
couple of days of rain have brought a huge number to earth which are not yet
raked up.  Tomorrow will be a mass festival of raking around hundreds of
thousands of yards in silent synchrony.  I don't know why I like looking at
these leaves around my block, in a sunny day after the rain yesterday, maybe
because they are unusual colors?  My cat for example climbed on a neighbor's
fence right next to a shrub with bright red leaves which was nice.  I don't see
a face in these trees per se but I do see a kind of friend, something I'm glad
to see again, something that means something, and maybe I like that it is
non-digital and non-electronic to remind me that I and perhaps all life are
also partly that?

There could be a relation between the "intelligence" that imagines or images
the environment and what that environment becomes, but also vice versa which
Leonardo recommended very vociferously in quotations like:

"Though human ingenuity may make various inventions which, by the help of
various machines answering the same end, it will never devise any inventions
more beautiful, nor more simple, nor more to the purpose than Nature does;
because in her inventions nothing is wanting, and nothing is superfluous, and
she needs no counterpoise when she makes limbs proper for motion in the bodies
of animals. But she puts into them the soul of the body, which forms them that
is the soul of the mother which first constructs in the womb the form of the
man and in due time awakens the soul that is to inhabit it."

I'm also trying to learn about how Renaissance (or "early modern") poetry
including Dante related the face to the overall inner being, often using the
metaphor of a balcony, situating the former as a venue transmitting both the
individual and the general universal or environmental properties of the latter.
 But it's very slow going and still no more than a hobby.

All best,

Max