I can kind of see where Accelerationism's coming from - assuming that I understand Accelerationism correctly, which I more than likely don't. After you've repeated a certain number of times the usual breast-beating and groaning about the commodification of personal space and relationships, the world-domination of monster Web-based corporations, the failure of monetarist democracy to deliver either equality or political enfranchisement, the destructiveness of the endless-growth model of capitalism, the damage it does to our environment, the damage being done to our minds and our souls as the online/virtual/social media/gaming/dating app world comes to dominate our attention more and more thoroughly at the expense of the here-and-now, etc. etc. - after you've repeated those things a certain number of times, they start to feel not only tiresome and futile, but inadequate as a response to the situation in which we find ourselves. You can't keep simply rejecting and vilifying the new reality which is now our everyday world. You have to find a way of responding to it, representing it, coming to term with it, living in it. So perhaps the answer is to embrace it. Instead of running for the hills, ride the surf. Go with it. Use its energy. Find ways of making it work for you. As Rob says in his article about Accelerationist art, the idea is to 'grab the wheel rather than slam on the brakes'.

The example of Futurism, however, is a deterring one. The Accelerationists, from what I can gather, are at pains to say that they're not like the Futurists, but the parallels are difficult to ignore - here's Wikipedia's take: 'The Futurists admired speed, technology, youth and violence, the car, the airplane and the industrial city, all that represented the technological triumph of humanity over nature... They repudiated the cult of the past and all imitation... dismissed art critics as useless, rebelled against harmony and good taste, swept away all the themes and subjects of all previous art, and gloried in science.' And despite their objectionable ideas, the Futurists produced some strikingly original and challenging work. Their determination to embrace the new and their contempt for 'established' art with its traditions, its nostalgia, its sentimentality about nature and landscape, its distrust of urban environments and technology, allowed them to wipe the artistic slate (almost) clean and stake a big claim for themselves in an area into which (almost) nobody had ventured before. And like the Accelerationists, their agenda was political as well as artistic. Of course it's difficult to discuss the political aspects of their ideas now without flinching at their Fascist tendencies - actually 'tendencies' is putting it mildly - "We will glorify war — the world's only hygiene — militarism, patriotism, the destructive gesture of freedom-bringers, beautiful ideas worth dying for, and scorn for woman." But the feeling behind this inhumane super-macho posturing was that just as existing art, existing criticism and existing aesthetic perspectives were not only inadequate but rotten to the core, based on falsehoods, and needing to be junked before anything of real value could be constructed, so too with society and its values - everything would have to be smashed to pieces and scoured clean by technology, war, or better still techno-war, and only then could proper foundations be put in place and a proper society be constructed.

The problem is, of course, that when society actually reaches the melting-point, what follows is not a rebirth, a clean slate, a chance to start all over again, but terrible human suffering on a massive scale, followed by a slow and painful, often tyrannical, process of reconstruction. The meltdown-and-rebirth process has been envisioned before: here is the poet Robert Graves writing in the 1961 edition of The White Goddess: 'No: there seems no escape from our difficulties until the industrial system breaks down for some reason or other, as it nearly did in Europe during the Second World War, and nature reasserts herself with grass and trees among the ruins.' But the reality, as we ought to be able to see with the benefit of fifty years of hindsight, is more likely to look like post-revolutionary Russia or China than some kind of return to primal innocence, assuming that there ever was such a thing as primal innocence.

Of course, the Accelerationists would probably argue that the let's-crank-everything-up-until-it-breaks philosophy, or the let's-step-on-the-gas-until-we-achieve-escape-velocity philosophy, are only minor strands of what they've got to say, and perhaps only expressed by a few nutcases on the fringe of the movement. Just as important is the attempt to create some kind of new hacktivist politics that gets beyond the 'folk politics' of the Occupy movement. Just sitting down and protesting isn't enough: that's been demonstrated. Sure, you get on the news, but getting on the news isn't enough either. Everybody forgets you after a few days. Enthusiasm wanes. People have got their ordinary lives to get on with. The protest either fizzles out, or it's kept going by a few diehard cranks, and it becomes part of the landscape, so familiar that its meaning gets rubbed away. What did the occupation at St Pauls achieve? What did the Greenham Common protests achieve? In order to actually change things, you have to find a way of getting inside the machinery and turning it against itself.

Well, maybe - but what kind of things are we talking about? The two that come most readily to mind are BitCoin and 3D printing. Both of these, it seems, get inside the system and change the rules, and they both have enormous potential to remodel the socio-economic landscape, but whether the net effects will be beneficial or detrimental remains to be seen. Is BitCoin going to render the money-markets obsolete and put banks out of business, and if so is the BitCoin model more democratic or less democratic than the existing one? Is 3D printing going to allow technological advances to spread rapidly and inexpensively to the poorer parts of the world, or is it just going to put millions of blue-collar workers out of a job, or both?

I've probably got all this quite wrong. I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone who actually knows something about Accelerationism, such as Rob, were to tell me that actually my description of it is a long way wide of the mark. But let's go back to Accelerationist aesthetics for a moment. What makes a work Accelerationist, and what would exclude it? What about Annie Abrahams' recent video, 'Besides, compressed by communication' (https://vimeo.com/160074657)? A screen is split into two, and in the two sides of the screen different objects are placed at different times, creating a kind of visual dialogue. Simultaneously, two female voices are having a discussion, usually about the effects of digital communication and social media on our society and consciousness. Is this an Accelerationist piece? It certainly addresses the subject of digital acceleration and the effect it's having on our lives. But I would suggest that it isn't Accelerationist, because it talks about these effects rather than embodying them, its meanings aren't confined to that subject, and it wasn't constructed by repurposing bits of digital technology.

What about Ruth's work 'Time Is Speeding Up' (http://gtp.ruthcatlow.net/) from the 'We are Not Alone' show? The title itself suggests that it might be Accelerationist - acceleration is its theme. And again, part of the meaning of the piece is to do with digital communication and social media. Visitors to the gallery are invited to stand in front of the camera and have their pictures taken, thus becoming part of the piece, but as the Geological Time Piece - the programme at the heart of the installation - compresses more and more images of the installation into the same display-time as the show progresses, so each selfie becomes more and more compressed until all of the participants are reduced to flickers, a comment on the way that the digital continuum sucks in our individual voices and merges them into a torrent of anonymity. But although it comments on digital culture, uses a specially-commissioned bit of programming, and links to its own Twitter account, 'Time is Speeding Up' is at least as much about the human feeling that time is going by faster and faster as we get older as it is about digital culture - and that's a feeling, of course, which has been with us since pre-digital days. It also uses the non-digital as well as the digital elements - for example the sunlight on the gallery wall plays an extremely important part. So I would say that it isn't thoroughly Accelerationist, because it isn't built entirely from new technology and it isn't thoroughly focussed on new technology in terms of its subject matter.

Looking at the examples of Accelerationist art in Rob's article, you get a slightly different feel. 'The Promise of Total Automation', for example - the title sounds a bit like a manifesto, a bit like barmy science-fiction. I only know the piece from the photograph in the article, but it looks tongue-in-cheek and witty, especially the two machines/consoles on the right hand side, one of them looking heroically optimistic, throwing out its chest, with its nose or control stick jutting up into the air, while the other, with a drooping-down nose, looks glumly at its own feet. The 'Xenofeminism gif', just below in the article, has got a similar vibe to it. A woman who looks partly like a science-fiction robot, partly like something out of Japanese Manga, partly like Mickey Mouse, partly like a cyborg insect, with her arms flung out and her breasts radiating circles of power - retro and futuristic both at the same time, over-the-top and tongue-in-cheek, but also using new technology, in the shape of the gif.

Is this Accelerationist art? Using digital technology to comment on itself, and to play with ideas about how we envision the future? If so, it's difficult to object to it, but there may be certain inbuilt limitations in terms of its tone and subject matter. Is it possible to create Accelerationist art which directs our attention to the non-human world - geological timescales and the perspective they offer on our own lives - sunlight and the way it moves across a wall - in the same way that Ruth's 'Time is Speeding Up' does? And is it possible to create Accelerationist art that has the same still, contemplative, mindful quality as Annie's 'Besides, compressed by communication' - a piece which seems to slow time down and intensify our awareness of the here-and-now, of insignificant particular things like ashtrays and plastic bags, and of aesthetic considerations like the way two objects placed alongside each other can create both a balance and a dissonance - is it possible for Accelerationist art to do this, rather than speeding time up and overwhelming us with heroic and vertiginous ideas about the future?

One last remark. I'd been trying to write something on this subject for three days, but every time I paused for breath I found that a new crop of posts had sprouted up on NetBehaviour, either people saying some of the things I had been intending to say, or people saying things I hadn't thought of and making me rethink my own ideas. Not to mention the extra comments a bits of artwork that are popping up on Neterarti. It's impossible to keep up, but it's also profoundly inspiring and exciting. Which may mean, I think, that this project/debate itself is an example of Accelerationism - it's commenting on digital culture, it's using digital media as its means of expression, it exemplifies the information overload which is now part of our everyday lives, but at the same time it attempts to rebuild that information overload into a new form, to make something positive out of it.

- Edward