Hi Scott,
I've attached a NetLogo model that I believe tests this issue. The code is
also below.
I don't get the behavior you described on my Mac running 6.1.1

Could you give me

   - Your system information: NetLogo version, OS version, Java version,
   and so on. This information is available from NetLogo’s “About NetLogo”
   menu item, then clicking the System tab.
   - If the attached model doesn't reproduce the behavior you are seeing,
   please create a model that does.

breed [ points point ]

to setup
  clear-all