As a frequent user of 3D, I tested this out on my Windows version 3D
6.1.1.  It's weird.  When I run the following

breed [ points point ]

to setup
>   clear-all
>   create-points 1 [ setxyz 1 2 3  set size 5 set color red]
>   ask point 0 [ hatch-points 1 ]
>   create-points 1 [ setxyz -2 -3 -4 set size 5 set color green]
>   ask point 2 [ hatch-points 1 ]
>   ask points [ show zcor ]
>   wait 20
>   ask point 3 [ setxyz -2 -3 -4 ]
> end

The command center gives exactly what you would expect.  But, when I look
at the 3D View, the hatched and hacher points do appear to have different x
coordinates.  (You need to rotate the world up to see the z dimension.)
They should be on top of each other, but they are not.  Indeed, after the
20 seconds of wait time, you see points 2 and 3 visually merge together so,
as far as the view window is concerned, they must have had different z
coordinates before merging.

Charles