Rob Kendrick  wrote on 16 Apr :

> On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 12:00:16 +0100
> Jim Nagel <nets...@abbeypress.co.uk> wrote:

>> is there any way of automatically providing my username and password
>> when i go to a certain website i need to use frequently?

> It depends.  If the site is using basic auth (ie, the browser pops up a
> dialogue box asking you for a username and password) you can often pass
> this information in the URL;  [oi!  you mean COLON!]
>         http://username:passw...@www.foo.bar.com/

yes!  that does it!  thanks, Rob.

the website in question is the controlpanel at Neil Spellings'
Purleyhosting for one of my domains.  i'm pleased that now i can
simply doubleclick this URL file and go directly to the relevant page,
several levels into the controlpanel.

this makes a pain-free method to quickly define a unique email alias
at my domain. (i always do this when registering with any online
service or mailinglist, so i can abandon the alias if it starts
getting spam.)

i had always presumed i had to resort to an American browser on the
laptop to do the chore, but it's great to have it set up as a mere
doubleclick in Netsurf now.

--
>>> no need to reply my entire message back to me ;=]
Jim Nagel                        www.archivemag.co.uk
   Abbey Press   32 Norbins Rd        (01458) 83 3603
   Glastonbury   BA6 9JG         pocket 0797 415 3861