On 29 May, Paul Stewart  wrote in message
  <54662.1243577...@phawfaux.co.uk>:

> On Fri 29/05/09 00:12 , Rob Kendrick <r...@netsurf-browser.org> wrote:
>
> > And is another reason why people shouldn't keep !Scrap in a RAM disc,
>
> But isn't the whole idea of !Scrap, that all the files stored inside it
> are temporary files?

There's "temporary", and "temporary".  Also, until someone (Adam Richardson,
IIRC) came up with Cache, RISC OS didn't have defined "somewhere" to store
"non-transient internal data that isn't choices".  As such, Scrap seems to be
the best compromise.

> Therefore storing !Scrap in a RAMDisc would appear logical.

Not really.  Not least because it isn't inconceivable that something could try
and store a lot of data in Scrap, use up all the available free RAM, and crash
(or at least fail -- but I wonder how many RISC OS apps really /do/ check
WimpScrap transfers for disc full errors?).

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/