On Thu, 28 May 2009 19:44:31 +0100
Steve Fryatt <li...@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote:

> > Maybe font canning could be filtered?  And also, once the fonts have
> > been canned where is the data cached? Is it wasting space somewhere
> > y retaining font data for fonts that will probably never be used?
>
> It's stored in !Scrap (in a file called RUfl_cache).  On this
> machine, with a few fonts installed, it takes up 277K.  I think
> that's a reasonable price to pay for improved text display.

And is another reason why people shouldn't keep !Scrap in a RAM disc,
which is sadly a common misconceived practise (certainly on Iyonixes!)

I did specify a !Caches to go along with !Scrap at one point; and a
developer (whose name is clouded in an evening of real ale) has taken
the idea on; but I don't believe anything actually uses it.

B.