In a message dated 3/11/99 3:23:17 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< ?  Maybe the disk is starting to go bad.

 no, but this happens with floppy boot as well.

 > I think it is your RAM. I once had this problem as well. RAM seems to be
 > causing a lot of this kind of intermittent problems. Also, one more thing
you
 > might want to try is changing the bios settings. I think you need to
disable
 > shadowing (although I don't think this would cause problems as such) and
also
 > any "memory holes" settings. You might want to try loading bios defaults
(which
 > is considered "safe" by the manufacturer - that is no unsafe performance
boosts
 > enabled) and then go around disabling those things above. (I once had such
 > weirdness from wrong bios memory settings so it's worth a look)

 Thanks for all the help mail.:)  I think I will try to nail down the
 problem first by:

 1. check BIOS setting
 2. reseat RAM
 3. Change HD

 I really hate to change HD, as I have this system setup already.  Can
 someone gimme a brief run though on how to transfer files from one HD
 to another without loosing all my settings and programs?  I can have
 another HD hooked in there and copy everything over, but I don't know how
 will linux handle it.  Any help in this transfer would be great!:)

this is kind of a quick rig for ya

if you have an internel CD-ROM drive take the cabels out of that and stick it
into the hard drive
while the computers off of course

then drag the first hard drive icon to the second and let it copy the data

then see if you can boot from that drive