On Sun, 25 Apr 1999 07:52:13 -0700, Russ Westbrook wrote:

>What is the difference between Caldera and Red Hat (and the others)?

There is a brief article in 32 Bits Online discussing the latest
distributions:
http://www.32bitsonline.com/article.php3?file=issues/199904/lj-19990420&
page=1
Another article is at
http://www.planetit.com/techcenters/docs/Networking/Product/PIT19990331S
0012.

There have been a number of other articles in the online press
comparing the various distributions.

The main differences in distributions are the installation and the
extra packages included.  They are 95% the same.  Caldera has chosen
KDE as their desktop environment while Redhat has chosen Gnome with
Enlightenment but will also include KDE in the 6.0 release to be
announced monday.  You can check the respective web pages to get lists
of packages included.

>Can you run KDE and Gnome on the same machine under either Caldera or
>Red Hat's version?

Yes.  You can install both and since all of the applications are X11
you can run them under either environment but there will be a lack of
some of the integration if you run KDE apps under Gnome or Gnome apps
under KDE.

>Anyone have any opinions on which package is the best?

KDE has been in development longer and is a little more polished and
less buggy.  Gnome is a little fancier. A lot of the apps need more
work but the recent release is quite stable.  Gnome is somewhat harder
to install than KDE but that shouldn't be a problem when it is included
in the distributions. I have switched from KDE to Gnome (though neither
come up to the standard of the OS/2 workplace shell, so I havn't
switched completely from OS/2 to Linux).
I recommend trying both and deciding.  They both have their good
points.  What is best is a subjective matter.
Gary R. Walsh                           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Richmond Hill, ON                      http://www.interlog.com/~grwalsh