Stefaans,

> >From my dim past I can remember there is a way arounnd by
> >putting a .bashrc file in your home directory but there must
> be an easier way!!

  That's actually handled by ~/.xsession file.  At the end, after
any stuff you want to open, you put this:

exec /usr/bin/enlightenment

  In your case, you'd want exec /usr/bin/gnome or whatever the
actual path to whatever wm you want.  My whole .xsession (for
now) looks like this:

#!/bin/sh
# Execute enlightenment. ALWAYS make sure this is at the end of
# this startup file - and ALWAYS run things before it with an &
# at the end.
# For example:
#   xterm &
#   kpanel &
# It is suggested to use Enlightenment's Remember dialog for
# having apps spawned automatically on login.
panel &
xscreensaver &
exec /usr/bin/enlightenment

  Be sure you ~/.Xclients is a pointer to ~/.xsession too.

  Meph

--
  "I did this 'cause Linux gives me a woody."
  -Dave '-ddt->' Taylor, announcing DOOM for Linux