Yes, I have had the same experience with gnome.  Besides being very slow
in the first place, I will get runaway processes in things like The Gimp,
or more simple things like you describe.  No secret handshakes apply,
except the "reset" button.  I have pretty well given up on Gnome and KDE
for similar reasons--bloated and slow and quirky.  I find something like
Blackbox or xfce keeps things fast and less likely to run away.  Of
course, Netscape will always have a chance of getting away, but I at least
can kill it with top or KPM.

Don J.

--
My dual-boot system