>> Kernels have to be in the first 8.4 GB of a harddisk. (This is not a Linux
>> bug, but a BIOS problem. Stuff like EZDrive won't help you either).
[...]
>so why doesn't someone come up with a BIOS fix for this?
>(although you SHOULD be able to squeeze the kernel in the
>first 8.4G SOMEWHERE :-)) Or is there some technical reason
>for this limitation?

It's not that easy to write a BIOS fix because there is some configuration
issues with the controller electronics. It's somehow all tied up in
backwards compatibility with old IBM PC's, but I can't remember the
specifics. Other hardware architectures don't have the problem.

MB
--
Michael R. Batchelor
Industrial Informatics & Instrumentation, Inc.