----- Original Message -----
From: James Schofield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, August 16, 1999 3:44 PM
Subject: [newbie] Does Linux use the Bios for Harddrives?

> I have a question.
>
> Does Linux use the BIOS to get harddrive specifications??
>
> I own an older 486/75 NEC Versa Laptop that I would like to use as a Linux
> machine.
>
> I have only a maximum of 540meg HD right now.. so because I wanted to run
> Linux I was thinking of Upgrading the HD.. to a GIG or over.. BUT!!!
>
> The bios is old.. and only allows me to go up to 1 gig exactly in size..
> I could use a Disk manager .. but this is only useful for DOS partitions
is
> it not?
>
> So the point is.. I want to use a 1 GIG + drive in a machine that does not
> have a bios that can support it. HOW WILL LINUX HANDLE IT??
>
> James

Most large harddrives these days come with their own disk manager.  It works
for linux as well.  My particular disk manager (E-Z Drive) lets me press
CTRL before Windows starts so that I can boot from a floppy, or from C:
drive.  Because you would have a disk manager, you would not be able to use
lilo, so a boot floppy would be the way to go.

Manny Styles
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
---