Hi, everybody,

When I partitioned my disk, I assumed that the basic installation from
CDROM #1 would go to /bin, /lib, /usr/bin, /usr/lib, /usr/man, .... and
that additional "optional" packages (from CD #2-5 and from the web)
could go to /usr/local/bin, /usr/local/lib, ....

So I made three partitons:
/      2Gb
/home  6Gb    (with /usr/local symlinked to /home/local)
/var   250Mb  (with /tmp symlinked to /var/tmp)

Basic installation would

The idea was that if I needed to reinstall over my boot partition, all
my /usr/local stuff would be safe (as would /home files, of course). I'd
rather not have to download and install all that stuff again. Also, I
could install another Linux distro and it would be able to see the
partiton with all my installed apps and my home files.

But as I look at packages in kpackage, I see that they all go into
/usr/bin, /usr/man, ....

So I tried using rpm with the --relocate option, but the package I chose
apparently was not relocatable.

Are most packages non-relocatable?

How have other people dealt with this situation?

Should I go back to a one partition model? Or keep the current 3
partition model, but put all of /usr in its own partition, perhaps with
/home symlinked into it?

Thanks for any advice!

--

Joel VanderWerf