I would say a lot of it depends on how you want to approach your backup
strategy.
I have the luxury of having a lot of secondary storage so my partitions are
as\
follows:

hda5     /            500 Mb     # / can be backed up separately and, if I
                                 # reinstall is 1 of 2 partitions that
actually
                                 # need to be reformated, saving the rest of
my
                                 # work and data from the usual destruction
of
                                 # a re-installation

hdb1     /usr         1.5 Gb     # The second of the two partitions
                                 # affected by reformatting
                                 # on a re-install

hdb2     /usr/local   1.5 Gb     # From here on I can leave these partitions
hdb3     /var         1.5 Gb     # alone, they do not need reformatting on a
hdb5     LinuxSwap    128 Mb     # a re-installation
hdb6     /home          2 GB
hdb7     /r-and-d     1.5 GB
hdb8     /misc1       1.5 GB
hdb9     /misc2       1.5 GB

How you partition your available drive space is very dependent on your
expected
usage and things like your back-up strategy and, of course, the ocassional
need
to re-install.  This set up is by no means perfect but I pass it on to you
just
to give you some idea of some of the rationale that goes into planning your
file
system.  For example, I could have made /etc a separate partition but chose
not
to as the quantity of files here is not too great.  However, I use a
separate
backup strategy for this as I am continually hacking away at various
configuration
files and it would be nice to have spare copies because I'm damned if I can
ever
remember what changes I've made and in what files.  :)