----- Original Message -----
From: Rick Murphy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; David P. Greenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>;
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; pete moss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>;
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 31, 1999 8:52 AM
Subject: Re: [newbie] netscape defaults

> On Tue, 31 Aug 1999, David P. Greenberg wrote:
> > On Tue, 31 Aug 1999, pete moss wrote:
> > > is there a default prefs file for netscape?  i have configured
mine to
> > > open to messenger, and to bring up a blank page in navigator.
however,
> > > everytime i open netscape, i get navigator opening to the
mandrake help
> > > page.  anyone know how to get rid of this?  i have looked at
> > > preferences.js in ~/.netscape and the settings are correct
there, they
> > > just arent loading up.
> > >
> > > :P
> >

> > --Well, I'm sure to suffer a flaming death for this statement, but
what I found
> > to work best is to uninstall Netscape, and go about your life! I
had nothing
> > but crashes and multiple other problems with it in any and all the
distros I've
> > tried. (I'm currently using Mandrake 6 and absolutely love it).
The KDE mail,
> > news, and browser all work great and I found no real need for
Netscape anyway.
> > It was slow and problematic for me when it _did_ work at all and
on several
> > occasions even caused me to have to reinstall Linux (although, a
more
> > experienced user could probably have repaired the situation).
Anyway, just my
> > two cents worth...Please be merciful.
> >

> > David P. Greenberg
>
> David,
>
> Don't give up on netscape.   If your using mandrake,  click on the
updates
> icons and download all three parts of netscape 4.61 at the same
time.  It will
> automatically install itself.  I found that most of my problems with
netscape
> ended when I went  to 4.61. I think you will find that not all web
sites will
> open with KDE's broswer.   I look forward to seeing the browser
improved with
> the next reincarnation of mandrake.
>
> Rick
>

> "I don't want to swim in a roped off sea," JB

Rick hit it on the nose.  I'm assuming that David was using former
versions of Netscape which were still buggy.  Netscape 4.61 is stable.
One thing though, you don't need all three Netscape rpms.  You
definitely need netscape-common, but besides that, you only need
netscape-navigator if you just want the browser, or
netscape-communicator if you want the full suite (browser, mail/news
reader, and Composer).  So if you do get it from updates, it's just
two files.

Manny Styles
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
---