On Wed, 1 Sep 1999, David P. Greenberg wrote:

> On Wed, 01 Sep 1999, pete moss wrote:
> > > --Yes I agree that Navigator alone works better than Communicator. Any way I'm
> > > in the process of following ricks advice (please exscuse me if I got the wrong
> > > poster). I reinstalled Netscape (Nav. only+common files only) and am
> > > downloading the upgrade now as we speak. We'll see.
> >
> > i too want to just have netscape running.  i have been using it for
> > mail, but i think i want to switch to pine.  i have a few questions
> > first.
> > does pine do message filtering?
> > can pine read my existing netscape mail files (i have ALOT of saved
> > mail)?
> > what exactly do i need to install to support pine?  sendmail, fetchmail,
> > what?  not sure what i need.
> > does anyone know of a better program than pine for email that has
> > similar features to netscape mail?
> >
> > > P.S. I just wanted to say that I've spent a lot of time on the NG's looking for
> > > help in learning Linux, and so far I think this list is absolutely awesome!
> > > It's really refreshing to have a forum to go to as a newbie where people are
> > > helpful without being condescending.
> >
> > agreed.  i was on another linux newbie list before that was just a bunch
> > of newbies and one genius.  on this list there are alot of semi-genius
> > types, which makes it much easier to get problems solved.
> >
> > :P
>

> --Hi Pete,
> I've used Pine a little bit in a Caldera dist. I tried before. It's a great
> reader if you can get it to work. It's very command line-ey. Also after you get
> it installed you have to go through this big and very austere config adventure
> before you can actually read your mail. The good thing is that all your friends
> will think you're a Super-Geek when they see you reading mail on it. I still
> think that so far the KDE mail reader is the easiest and best.

Are we talking about the same pine here? Works like a charm here straight
out of the box. Of course i've tweeked it sense then to prune my mail
folders cause they get to large if i don't (nothing like waiting for it to
close a 25MB mail file )

--
MandrakeSoft          http://www.mandrakesoft.com/
                                        --Axalon