On Mon, 2002-07-08 at 14:45, Frans Ketelaars wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Jul 2002 09:01:15 -0700
> Sevatio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > What's your opinion of IBM Hard Drives?  I was going to continue buying
> > them since IBM is a supporter of Linux.  However, some of the customer
> > feedbacks I've been reading makes me apprehensive about touching these.
>
> IIRC there where negative Linux user's experiences with some recent
> IBM drives regarding MTBF but I can't find any references ATM :(

That was regarding one specific model of IBM, and I think those problems
have been corrected in the models being sold presently.  IBM made some
claims regarding MTBF and their drives, and there was some confusion
over that; but for the most part I haven't heard of any experienced
users having problems with these drives.

I don't count outdated motherboard bios problems as being an IBM
problem.  A simple mobo bios flash is the cure for that.

I have two 30 gig Deskstars that are raided together, and the
performance and reliability has been superb.  I also have several other
friends with Deskstars, both older and newer than mine, and they have
had the same positive experience.  I've flashed my mobo about 5 times,
but even with the initial version of the bios, I initialized these
drives with no problems.  I've got an Abit KT7A-Raid and two IBM
307030's.