On Wed, 2002-07-10 at 17:59, g wrote:
> Lyvim Xaphir wrote:
>
> > I have two 30 gig Deskstars that are raided together, and the
> > performance and reliability has been superb.  I also have several other
> > friends with Deskstars, both older and newer than mine, and they have
> > had the same positive experience.  I've flashed my mobo about 5 times,
> > but even with the initial version of the bios, I initialized these
> > drives with no problems.  I've got an Abit KT7A-Raid and two IBM
> > 307030's.
>
> question. are you inferring that you had to flash bios on kt7a-raid?
>
> i am using kt7-raid that has yet to need flash update.
>

> tc,hago.

Sorry about the REALLY late response.  I was checking old threads and
saw this.

To answer your question, no, I did not have to flash the bios.  But I do
so whenever a new version is issued for my particular mobo in order to
stay current and in many cases gain access to refinements and
undocumented new features.  In the 486 days I was able to upgrade 486
mobos by flashing the bios to accept AMD DX4-100 processors, and then
the later and much more interesting Am5x86-133 processor, which actually
allowed i586 Mandrake to work on these 486 mobos.  By accepting the
Am5x86-133, 586 instruction set support was a reality for socket types
1,2,and 3.  A bios flash has the potential to "unobsolete" a mobo.

Today the "conventional" recommendation by mobo manufacturers is to not
flash the bios if your system is already working.  This is because if
you screw up, you lose the mobo until a new bios can be shipped
(sometimes at half or at the new price of the mobo).  On the other hand,
if you've run the flash gauntlet several times and have the hang of dos
and winblows flash updates, it's no problem, as long as you are careful
and paying close attention.

In my case with the KT7A-Raid, it gave me an upgrade to the hardware
raid functions and a much more interesting upgrade to the AGP related
portions of the bios, allowing me to overclock even more.

Even without those features however (which I found out about after the
upgrade) I would have flashed anyway.

Most of the time, all improvements to the bios are seldom documented.
Just the major ones.

LX

--
Kernel  2.4.18-6mdk     Mandrake Linux  8.2