On Monday 15 Jul 2002 9:12 pm, Anne Wilson wrote:
> During the evening my machine has got slower and slower, and now it takes
> almost a minute to open any application.  I have logged out, and even
> halted, but it persists.
>
> During the bootup messages I briefly saw something to the effect that a
> compressed image had been found and was being uncompressed.  Is this
> significant?

No its part of the normal load process

> How, using Process Management, can I identify the process(es) causing my
> problem, so that I can hang up?
>
> Anne

Just open KDE system guard and you will see the % usage of each application.

Alternatively on the console just type 'top'

You can kill an application in ksystemguard or from the console 'kill -9 PID
number'

It is also possible an application has a memory leak which is soaking up your
memory, but do not be alarmed if you see an application listed several times
in systemguard with each instance apparently consuming lots of memory. The
memory listed is (usually) the total usage of all the child processes. If the
memory used by an app keeps going up, then that is bad news. :(

(And of course do not be alarmed if top shows your memory is apparently full.
The 'cached' memory is just being used as a hard drive cache. It gets
released as soon as an app needs it)

HTH

derek