I was not insinuating that anyone at mandrake was in any way sinister or
"uncaring"

Only that if they had to lay people off, laying off the ones that are in
touch and have established good working relationships with the companies
biggest clients is a bad idea...

Since CEO's and directors are suits, they don't usually know anything about
the product side of things..

so they probably made the decision based on what they consider to be the
right choise.. that may not be the best thing for Mandrake,, (if you were a
CEO and you had a choise between another programmer, and an office
assistant.. and you were not a linux nutter like us, you'd probably chose to
keep the assistant, since a CEO would probably think that they have other
programmers that can pick up the slack.)

If Civilme got annoyed and lost his faith in Mandrake he could protentially
cost mandrake alot of money by telling us about it all, and potentially
recommending another distro... (not that civilme would, I am just proposing
speculation.)

Its a known fact that when a spokesperson, (or salesperson, or just someone
well known and associated with a product.) leaves a company, many people
will follow as they trust the man more then the company.. I have been in
this situation myself, I used to work for a large international PC component
manufacturer. (Ocean, the main brand they marketed was Octek.)
When I left, a good many of my clients asked me to start a wholesale
business and stated they would follow me..

All I am saying is that you don't remove the most respected public face of
Mandrake (with the users.. or customers) if you want to improve sales.

Vincent Dannen and Civilme are the only two mandrake employees that go out
of their way to help users on the newbie, expert and sometimes the cooker
list.. there is nothing that has improved mandrakes public opinion more then
those two I believe.. and mandrake just layed one of them off.. (and who is
to say that Vincent hasn't been given his walking papers as well..)

That said, Civilme has said that there is no need to make a fuss about it,
so I suggest we don't.

rgds

Frank