g wrote:
> to determine power requirements, check labels on back of equipment for voltage
> and amps ratings. multiply volts x amps = va load to determine require ups.

That works, but it is "conservative".

I may have a special case in that I am mostly concerned with riding
through very short outages -- 1 second to say 1 minute.  I have a 300 VA
Conext UPS (I got it from Staples for about $10 after a $20 rebate,
IIRC).  I'm running 3 computers on it (main boxes only, not the monitor)
and am surviving the short outages I occasionally get.  Some day I'll
pull the plug and time how long the three computers stay up.

I just looked at a 200 Watt computer power supply from my junkbox -- the
label says it uses 5 amps at 115 volts (575 volt amps (VA)).  It is
probably not a modern switching power supply, which I assume would have
a lower power requirement, but, the three computers I mention above have
power supplies of 300, 230, and 200 watts (IIRC), so presumably the
labels will add up to at least a "requirement" of 730 volt amps.  Since
I am running those three on a UPS rated at 300 VA, there is some
conservatism in the calculations.

PS: The Conext has an indicator light to indicate if the plugged in load
is beyond the rating of the UPS (even while the UPS is running off the
mains) -- it is not on, and I've never seen it on.

regards,
Randy Kramer