Nope. I meant it to go to the list but must have had the wrong box
checked in Pegasus. I'll take care of it here and now, in fact.

The only correction I want to make is that installing the LAN card was
unnecessary, once I found the built in ethernet port on the back of the
box. It was hiding beside the USB ports.

I've since written a couple of CDs, too, so that works, and downloaded
pictures from my Canon A40 digital camera. I'm still learning my way
around Linux, of course, but getting there slowly.

I do miss a couple of my Windoze apps -- notably Pegasus for e-mail
and PaintShop Pro. I may spring for Crossover Office so I can use
them, assuming it will accept them. Or try to convince the developers
to port the apps to Linux.

df

On 5 Sep 2002, at 22:06, ed tharp wrote:

> Mind if I repost this  to the list?
> <snip>
> > Well, here's a pocket review of my WalMart box, for what it's worth.
> >
> > I got the 1.3GHz Celeron with 256mb of SDRAM, 40 gig hard drive,
> > CD-RW, modem, etc. Mandrake Linux installed.
> >
> > Booted right up and ran through the automatic install, offering Gnome
> > and KDE as desktop choices. I picked KDE and I'm comfortable with it,
> > but I see on Tucows there seem to be more apps for Gnome, so I'm
> > debating bringing that one up, too.
> >
> > I opened the box to install the network card and was pleasantly
> > surprised at how tidy it was inside (I reviewed systems for Computer
> > Shopper years ago -- not all bargain boxes were well assembeled).
> > Since it had a single 256mb SIMM for RAM I added a 128mb SIMM I had
> > lying around, so I now have 384mb to play with.
> >
> > Came with a stack of manuals (Mandrake Intallation and User Guide,
> > motherboard, CD-RW, etc.) and some CDs (Modem drivers for Windoze and
> > Linux, some sort of utilities disk and the Mandrake disks, of course,
> > Windoze software for the CD-RW drive but no Linux, but no problem
> > since it was already installed and working).
> >
> > Lots of software; Open office, games, CD burning (GCombust and X-
> > CDRoast), etc., etc.
> >
> > Everything works (haven't tried to write a CD yet), but the modem is
> > frustrating -- takes forever to connect and then often connects at
> > 4800 and I have to disconnect and try again. Noname junk may be
> > replaced.
> >
> > Windows users are going to miss the hand-holding that Microsoft
> > gives them. Documentation is scarce, help tends to be cryptic to Linux
> > newbies. I'm going to have to configure Samba and the only way I can
> > see to do that is to edit the samba.config file, which takes me back
> > to my old DOS and early Windows days, playing as I did then with
> > config.sys and autoexec.bat files.
> >
> > To sum up -- well built but for cheap modem, well set up but a newbie
> > faces a steep learning curve to start refining things. On the whole
> > I'm very pleased with it
> >
> > Dennis Fowler

peregrinf