On Saturday 07 Sep 2002 3:30 pm, you wrote:

I> On Friday 06 September 2002 06:10 am, Peregrinf wrote:
> ------------snip---------------
>
> > I do miss a couple of my Windoze apps -- notably Pegasus for e-mail
> > and PaintShop Pro. I may spring for Crossover Office so I can use
>
> You might want to check out win4lin (if you already own win 98 etc.)
> they currently have a great deal ($49.00).
> http://www.netraverse.com/
> http://www.digitalriver.com/dr/v2/ec_MAIN.Entry17c?CID=0&SID=40113&SP=10007
>&PN=5&PID=378897
>
> I've used alot of my win 98 progs (including office2000, photoshop,
> cinema4d) w/ no problems. Its main drawbacks are:
>
> 1. lack of directx/direct draw which mostly shows up in games.
> 2. You need a winders license (win95, 98, 98se, me) and installation
> disk
> 3. Only 1 session of windows may be running at a time.
> 4. Newest kernel support may lag just a bit
> 5. usb support is through linux (ie winders would not find your usb
> camera
>
> Main plusses are:
> It often seems to run faster than win98 on the same machine.
> no need to dual boot.
> Programs install and run quickly.
>
> I'm a satisfied user, even at the $90.00 I paid.

I too have a few essential win98 apps.  I looked at Wine, but there's a list
on their pages of apps that run and those known not to - and guess what?
none of mine run.  I had a look at the win4lin site, but couldn't see any
such compatibility list.  Is there one?  I'll happily pay if there's a
reasonable chance of getting them working, but it's just a waste if they
don't.

Anne