Peregrinf wrote:

>On 6 Sep 2002, at 18:28, Bryan Tyson wrote:
>

>>KMail and Gimp!
>>

>I've tried both, Gimp more briefly than KMail.
>
>Gimp is a very powerful tool for editing images. But PaintShop Pro
>offers a better image handling capability where you can browse a
>directory, which produces a set of thumbnails that can then be sorted,
>copied, moved, deleted easily. It offers a number of easy to use tools
>for changing brightness and contrast, resizing, cropping, sharpening
>and blurring, solarization, posterizing, increasing or decreasing color
>depth, etc. I mainly use the "browse" feature for sorting and moving
>images. It also saves to a huge number of formats, offers a text tool,
>etc., along with the usual brushes and air brush tools, etc.
>
>As I say, I haven't used Gimp much yet, but unless it offers a browse
>that gives me a catalogue of thumbnails in a directory for me to
>choose from, sort, move, delete, etc., it won't be of much use to me.
>
>Dennis Fowler

Gimp does all of those things and more, except give you a thumbnail view
of all your images in one directory, but programmes like gview and gqview
will do these tasks for you, so run them side by side, do all the
manipulation you
like with gimp and pop the finshed file back in gview or whatever. You
can do
montage creations with montage .

The level of intergation is perhaps not as good as PaintShop Pro, at least
that is what my adult chidren tell me who have learnt PaintShop Pro at
school and uni but it doesn't really matter.Why not take one kde desktop
and put up all the picture manipulation apps you need to accomplish
the tasks you have in mind to work on, then do whatever you want ,
and if in the meantime you feel the need to switch back to another task
you can flick over to another desktop where something else is running,
like writing a disk or something.

Gimp is a funny looking programme, the 4 little windows that pop up
on first configuration , suggest very little of it's capabilities, and I
suppose
if I'm honest the start menu layout could be more ergonomic , but it can
do a lot of interesting picture manipulation. I would unresevedly advise
you to explore it. I have only just started to do things with it but it's
very capable.

John

--
John Richard Smith