On 6 Sep 2002, at 18:28, Bryan Tyson wrote:

> KMail and Gimp!

I've tried both, Gimp more briefly than KMail. My verdicts:

KMail: Very good, faster than Pegasus on downloading mail. I'm not
wild about the display -- I like Pegasus's windowing better than the
frame-like interface of KMail. Pegasus offers a dialogue box when I
reply that lets me easily pick which address or addresses the
response goes to (from, reply to, cc, sender and from). I use that
often. I can probably get used to KMail, but would miss that feature in
Pegasus, and possibly some others I've grown used to.

Gimp is a very powerful tool for editing images. But PaintShop Pro
offers a better image handling capability where you can browse a
directory, which produces a set of thumbnails that can then be sorted,
copied, moved, deleted easily. It offers a number of easy to use tools
for changing brightness and contrast, resizing, cropping, sharpening
and blurring, solarization, posterizing, increasing or decreasing color
depth, etc. I mainly use the "browse" feature for sorting and moving
images. It also saves to a huge number of formats, offers a text tool,
etc., along with the usual brushes and air brush tools, etc.

As I say, I haven't used Gimp much yet, but unless it offers a browse
that gives me a catalogue of thumbnails in a directory for me to
choose from, sort, move, delete, etc., it won't be of much use to me.

Dennis Fowler