On Tuesday 17 September 2002 11:47, Alastair Scott wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 08:13, Patrik Marxer wrote:
> > To be honest, we don't like bush much over here. I guess not many in
> > europe do. In the rest of the world it may be similar. In fact he is the
> > most unpopular leader in the world, as I have heard - even more unpopular
> > than Saddam Hussein.
>
> Interestingly, my Government commissioned one of its innumerable private
> polls on this issue; the results were, very unusually, never released,
> and the general suspicion was that this was because they were extremely
> unfavourable to the current President.
>
> A problem which the USA has (but might not realise it has) is that its
> presidents are frequently perceived to be intellectually weak; Gerald
> Ford, Ronald Reagan and George W Bush are good recent examples.
>
> Prima facie this cannot be true - it would be extremely unlikely that
> such a person could get to the top and stay there - but the _perception_
> that it is true is dangerous.
>
> (Certainly, in the United Kingdom, nobody would consider even the less
> successful Prime Ministers of recent times, such as Jim Callaghan and
> John Major, to be stupid; in fact, both went from the bottom to the top
> by their own efforts, and history is being kinder to the first as time
> passes).
>
> Alastair

Hi Alastair,

I don't think that a stupid person could not become president. He just needs
intelligent people around him - and money. But this is not my point. He may
have an IQ of 200 and just be modest.

Bush blocked about all interesting oecological treaties, rendered already
signed treaties useless. "Redefined" the START treaties with russia...
And generally thinks american (soldiers) are better than the rest of the
world and need not follow human rights and can therefore not be summoned to
the (I don't know the english expression for it) the supernational court that
punishes the violations to human rights...
He is dangerous! But it is not even this that scares me.

It is his followers (the 48% that voted for him) and those that think america
is something to be proud of. The fact that  a nation thinks it has the "right
way" scares me. They don't see the violations of human rights in their own
country and every criticism seems like treason.

I don't know the film that said this: Dangerous,that is: Low IQ and a gun.
Let's say Bush is the man at the trigger and the gun is america. Bush may do
what he wants, but I am affraid if he pulls the trigger and says "go" the
americans indeed will go.

Patrik