On Tuesday 17 September 2002 15:05, Ronald J. Hall wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 September 2002 03:13 am, you wrote:
> > To be honest, we don't like bush much over here. I guess not many in
> > europe do. In the rest of the world it may be similar. In fact he is the
> > most unpopular leader in the world, as I have heard - even more unpopular
> > than Saddam Hussein.
>
> I don't believe that - anyone who is more afraid of G. Bush than Saddam
> Hussein is badly informed.

(this is a double negation - so I guess you didn't want to agree with me)

I wanted to say why it may be that the support of the rest of the world so
suddenly was withdrawn. Nobody likes Bush and what he does. It is about
popularity. Does nobody want to know the reason why Bush's ratings are so low?

> > It is not he himself that is scary (he seems rather dumb) but the people
> > that he is the king of. (And in my opinion you americans are just
> > electing a king for 4 years. There isn't much a king can and a president
> > can't do...) But I am affraid of _you_ the "It is a great Country.  Glad
> > I live here.". Such such display of patriotism is utterly alien to me. In
> > fact it is scary. In the german speaking countries we tend to be extra
> > careful about patriotism since, we had a king who didn't give a damn
> > about other countries.
> >
> > Patrik
>
> Wrong, wrong, wrong - the president is limited to what he can do by a
> system of "checks and balances" between the executive, judicial, and
> legislative branches of the government. If you're gonna talk about us,
> please - get your facts straight first.

So was Hitler - he was elected and everybody thought he was under control.
But this is a bad example. I _don't_ want to go any further in comparing Bush
with either Hitler or Saddam.

About this "checks and balances": can _he_ start a war - yes or no?

Where was that "checks and balances" when all the correctly signed treaties
(Kioto protocol, START) were declared useless? These were _treaties_. If I
sell my house and spend the money I cannot tell the one I sold it to that it
was just a joke, he would get a bit mad.

(But to be honest the information I got about those treaties is just the
impression from the media - if someone wants to enlighten me ...)

> AND I'm damned proud of our country! (although my govenment does concern me
> from time to time)

The rest of the world is more than a bit concerned about this
government. Maybe the other countries are to far away to see, but on the
other hand maybe the distance makes one see the things in the right
propotions.

> (guess I scared ya even more, huh?)

This proudness just seems so alien. I don't know in what mind it is spoken
but at the receiving end it sounds like you think america has a mission or
something.

Now (because I am at it) another bad comparison: A fundamentalist thinks he
has a mission. If someone who is in charge and speaks for god says this and
that is in the name of god, the believer will do it. I fail to see the big
difference between some patriot who is told that something is in the name of
the country.

Patriotism/Nationalism/Fundamentalism is considered bad where I come from.
Maybe you mean it in another way.

So let's end this thread and talk about linux. Let's just say that I fail to
get the point about this being "damned proud of our country" thing. Also
americans seem to be a bit touchy on critique and I don want to insult
someone.

Patrik