Your 24X Mitsumi IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM drive (Mfg. date - circa 1997) is
designed to read CD-Rs, BUT is limited to a max storage capacity of 630
MBs in Mode 2 (standard read mode).  You may not be able to read the
Install CD for MDK 9 (~690+ MBs) properly or at all.

Is this burn of MDK 9 from the very same burner you used to make your
MDK 8.2 CDs? Is your CD-RW capable of burning 700 MB CD-Rs? Have you
checked disc number one for complete readability?

It sounds like the size of the first CD of MDK 9 is your problem. Either
your burner cannot accommodate beyond 650 MBs and/or your CD-ROM drive
cannot read beyond that point (as your specs suggest!) Be aware that
using 'over-burning' (Nero offers this feature) may damage your CD-RW
drive if it cannot handle traversing that far inward.

BTW: If you lack the specs on your CD-ROM drive, they are here:
http://support.tulip.com/TulipExchange/Public/nlhe0016.nsf/332a0dc0f76dd553412567370035f4a2/3055793e2171be614125654c00493b53?OpenDocument
(careful! one very long URL!)

Shane has been able to trick some CD-ROM drives into reading beyond
their mfg. capacity. However, if I understand him correctly, the drives
at least allowed the install to get to the point of picking out the
packages (where you could choose to nix those that were in the nether
regions of your CD-R.) If you aren't able to get the installation to
recognize the drive, it would seem this is a moot technique.

Some things to consider in your hardware setup of drives and CD-ROMs for
the future:

1. It would be best for your setup if you slaved the two drives together
on the primary IDE channel and made the CD-ROM drive the master on the
second IDE channel. It's really not best for the performance of the
drive to have a CD-ROM on the same channel and can cause problems.

2. Use the largest (and usually the fastest because of size) drive as
the master, the other as the slave. Make sure that you have your jumpers
set correctly, per the drive mfg.'s specs.

3. Be aware that slaving one mfg.'s drive to another is always a
crap-shoot. It either works very well, works well most of the time, or
in some cases, just won't slave to the master. Some Conners, Maxtor's
and Seagates will not mate up to each other (speaking specifically of
older, smaller IDEs, now...) and I have seen some that will not even
mate up to themselves (that is, the same mfg.!)

Does any of this help?