On Sunday 06 October 2002 08:57 am, et wrote:
> well, to be honest, I have often found that sitting back and expecting "the
> same" from almost any group works best as far as predicting behavior. as
> long as "the same" is a long record of attempting excellence within the
> realm of "Open Source" and/or "GNU", I see no reason to expect any less. I
> do agree that as far as a powerpack or prosuite, I would hope they could do
> the math over and figure that they have enough space left on the 3rd cd to
> make the first 2 isos down to 650 for the pressed and sale versions. I know
> it would cut into the pool of potential purchasers if the box needs to note
> that it only runs on computers with a CD reader newer than the last 2
> years. that said, why not redo the ISOs and post a location to find them?
<snip>

I'm not sure that "newer than the last 2 years" statement would be accurate in
all cases Ed. Both my CD-ROM and my CD-RW (a Liteon 40x LTN403L, and Mitsumi
CR-4804-TE 4x4x24) are considerably older than 2 years old. Neither has a
problem with larger media; nor have they since I checked for firmware updates
and installed the relevant ones from the manufacturer's sites. That was the
CD-RW, I don't remember doing anything with the Liteon and don't have any
'notes' in my odds'n'sods directory in my back-up partition about it. There
was a firmware update for the Mitsumi. Two in fact; one specifically to
handle larger media.

The disks for 8.2 and 9.0beta2 were made with 700 MB blanks (Maxells, which
appear to be made by Ritek) and the disks for Dolphin were made on 90 minute
blanks from a spindle of 50 that I couldn't resist for the price. Seemed a
waste of some space but it worked and full capacity was read by the CD-RW.
The install of 9.0 was a breeze except for no desktop icons; but that was
minor since I get rid of most of them anyway, then add a few of my own
choosing for things I use often.

BTW have you noticed how difficult it has become to buy 650 MB blanks in the
past few months? The last -RWs I bought were 700 MB. I blame hardware and
peripheral manufacturers a hell of a lot more for this type of trouble than I
ever would the developers for any distribution. The convenience of the end
user is a distant last place in the 'roadmaps' for all manufacturers. If it's
considered at all. If you have a drive that won't read/write larger media
correctly; and that's all you can buy, you'll likely have to buy something
newer won't you? The manufacturers get the cash then, don't they?

Manufacturers such as HP that don't even attempt to make older drives behave
properly with newer media sizes and types won't get any of my upgrade
dollars. Not that they ever have. :-)
--
Charlie
Edmonton,AB,Canada