On Fri, 04 Oct 2002 23:55:43 -0400, you wrote:

>Your 24X Mitsumi IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM drive (Mfg. date - circa 1997) is
>designed to read CD-Rs, BUT is limited to a max storage capacity of 630
>MBs in Mode 2 (standard read mode).  You may not be able to read the
>Install CD for MDK 9 (~690+ MBs) properly or at all.

Good one - hadn't thought of that.

>Is this burn of MDK 9 from the very same burner you used to make your
>MDK 8.2 CDs?

Yes.

>Is your CD-RW capable of burning 700 MB CD-Rs?

Yes.

>Have you
>checked disc number one for complete readability?

Yes, but not on the Mitsumi drive.

>It sounds like the size of the first CD of MDK 9 is your problem. Either
>your burner cannot accommodate beyond 650 MBs

No, it's not that.

>and/or your CD-ROM drive
>cannot read beyond that point (as your specs suggest!)

Sounds likely.

>BTW: If you lack the specs on your CD-ROM drive, they are here:
>http://support.tulip.com/TulipExchange/Public/nlhe0016.nsf/332a0dc0f76dd553412567370035f4a2/3055793e2171be614125654c00493b53?OpenDocument
>(careful! one very long URL!)
>
>Shane has been able to trick some CD-ROM drives into reading beyond
>their mfg. capacity. However, if I understand him correctly, the drives
>at least allowed the install to get to the point of picking out the
>packages (where you could choose to nix those that were in the nether
>regions of your CD-R.) If you aren't able to get the installation to
>recognize the drive, it would seem this is a moot technique.

Nope, the installation doesn't start up at all.

>Some things to consider in your hardware setup of drives and CD-ROMs for
>the future:
>
>1. It would be best for your setup if you slaved the two drives together
>on the primary IDE channel and made the CD-ROM drive the master on the
>second IDE channel. It's really not best for the performance of the
>drive to have a CD-ROM on the same channel and can cause problems.

Yes, I should switch them around - the PC used to have a third
hard drive, but I had to steal that one for another PC.

<snip>

>Does any of this help?

Yes, I think you've probably got the answer with the capacity of
the CD-ROM. Damn! I'd much sooner have seen Mandrake go to a
fourth image than cause this problem - in fact, given that those
of us who run both Windows and Linux will tend to use the older
boxes for Linux (for obvious reasons!) I'd even question the
commercial logic of Mandrake's decision. I guess the newer
CD-ROMs aren't that expensive these days....

Thanks for the help,

Brian.