On Thursday October 10 2002 01:54 pm, Robin Turner wrote:
> shane wrote:
> > many a tech feels like the CTO of my wifes company, a fortune 500
> > company told me he feels: "we always knew their security was bad,
> > but 6000 patches later we get hit by bugbear.  so what did those
> > patches do?"
>
> That is a fine quote!
>
> Sir Robin

     My brother is the latest bugbear victim (yesterday). Tho I gave him
a computer with Mandrake installed over a year ago (dual boot)  ... his
whole (computer) world revolves around Windoze.  He can't imagine
anything else. Even tho I've pointed out to him that the $$$$'s he's
invested (squandered) on M$ applications can easily be replaced by free
software that runs on Linux, boot Winsux only to play games that won't,
and never ever use anything M$ to connect to the Net.

    Dan (my brother) is afraid of his computer. He's not even capable of
installin Windoze without a _lot_ of hand holding.  He's saddled with
mostly self derived misconceptions and M$ FUD.  Sadly he's a typical
windoze user.  Since he rates right up there with most M$ users, he
believes he's computer literate.  He emailed me askin if he should
delete kernel32.dll since it was causin' all the illegal operation
errors. (I was tempted to say 'good idea' ;)  Dan, "But I didn't open
any email attachments"  <hehehe>   He's got Zone Alarm and Norton AV
runnin, thought he was protected <misconception>.

   So here's my take. Dan's typical of 90% of M$ users, most of which
don't even know there's alternatives other than Macs.  With M$ havin a
90% share of all desktop users.... 90% of 90% means that M$ will at
least keep ~80% of the desktop business, no matter how good the
alternatives get, how bad and greedy M$ gets, for a long time to come.
Unfortunately many CEO's who make IT procurement decisions are in the
same boat with Dan.  MOF, till he retired last year, he was one.