Flux wrote:

Okay, this definitely fits in the newbie catagory...

I've been playing around with my dual-boot Win2k/ML9 install, when it finally got to me that I can't really interact with the Windows partition, due to the NT file system. So, I decided to downgrade the Windows install to Win98SE. Now, what makes this a newbie issue is that fact that I blindly deleted the first partition on the drive, which happened to have both the Win2k install and the boot loader redirectory, so now I can't boot into Windows (duh) NOR Linux! (I understand that's not entirely true, but for newbie purposes we'll presume that it is)

So, in perfect newbie fashion, I decided to pop in my Compaq Evo N150 recovery disc and completely start ALL OVER AGAIN! But here's the question: If this "recovery" forced me to reformat the entire drive and make the whole thing one partition, how am I supposed to install Linux on it for a dual-boot? Maybe I should ask "WHERE" am I supposed to install Linux?
Please help, because I'm sure to cause myself more pain hashing through it myself...

-Lawrence

So now you have a hard drive with mandrake on some partitions, but no
windblows at all, and further more the windows partition is deleted, you didn't say
how you deleted but couldn't that same device recreate that partition.then install
windblows and then rerun mandrake CD1 to reinstall lilo, because by then
you will have a windblows MBR to install lilo in.

I don't think your position is impossible but obviously you have to recreate
that missing partition without destroying existing mandrake partitions , I don't
believe either of the Windblows OS's will format the whole drive if you tell it to
just format the right partition, but obviously that partition has to be remade
and designated a primary dos partition.It must of been the first partition
on your drive, so it will get recreated with a bit of luck as a primary anyway.

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]