Interspersed.
On Thursday 31 October 2002 10:03 am, Malcolm Candlish wrote:
> Hi Charlie,
Howdy! :-)

> Your material was very useful and indicates a divergence in the
> 'cdrecord' debug notices,
>
> This was apparent in:-
>
> ATIP info from disc
> Indicated writing power 5 (mine 3)
> Reference speed 2 (mine 6)
> Speed low 0 high 4 (mine 4 & 8)
> Power multi factor 5 & 6 (mine 4 & 8)
> Recommended erase speed 3 (mine 5)

This information is read from the "blank" CD-RW in the drive. It's the main
reason I told you what I was using for the test. To minimize misunderstanding
about the displayed differences but I think I screwed up. Did you notice that
mine says "Illegal Manufacturer code?" It isn't, it's just a rather old 650
MB -RW that has a Windows back-up on it from 3 years ago. It was written in
Windows 98 SE using Adaptec (Roxio now) 4 Easy CD Creator. Or was it Direct
CD? One or the other. The UDF file placed on the disk by that software gives
Linux a mild headache. :-( It can be overcome with simple mounting flags so
you can read what you need most of the time.

>From your previous message:
> >   ATIP start of lead in:  -11745 (97:25/30)
> >   ATIP start of lead out: 359848 (79:59/73)
> >   speed low: 4 speed high: 8
> >   power mult factor: 1 5
> >   recommended erase/write power: 5
> >   A2 values: 26 B2 4A
> > Disk type:    Phase change
> > Manuf. index: 40
> > Manufacturer: INFODISC Technology Co., Ltd.
> > Blocks total: 359848 Blocks current: 359848 Blocks remaining: 275767
> > cdrecord: Trying to use high speed medium on low speed writer.
> > cdrecord: fifo had 0 puts and 0 gets. *NO DATA TRANSFER*
> > cdrecord: fifo was 0 times empty and 0 times full, min fill was 0%. *NO
DATA TRANSFER*

cdrecord seems to not be reading the ISO file you want to copy at all Malcolm.
Why? Have you tried in a terminal,
@localhost malcolm]# cd (to the directory containing the ISO)
@locahost (that directory)]# cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=0,3,0 -eject
/directoryname/isoname

and _is the CD-RW you're using blank?_ Have you added your user to the cdrom
and cdwriter groups yet?

Are you trying to burn a back-up from October 25 direct to CD-RW? Or is it
already made and you just want to copy it to the CD? Either way the following
"how-to" article may be of some benefit to you:

> I still get:- 'cdrecord: Trying to use high speed medium on low speed
> writer'.

That ain't an error my friend, it's a warning. Theory says that you should use
media that is compatible (speed rating for one) with the drive you're using
to minimize the risk of damage. Your drive (and mine) maxes at 4x4x24 and the
media is rated for higher speed. Most of the time it won't matter but you may
want to think about verifying the burn before you need it. For example all of
the blank CD-Rs (spindle of 50 90 minute and a box of ten 80 minute) I have
are rated at "up to 40x certified"  but there's slim chance I'll buy a new
burner before I'm forced to. I probably wouldn't burn at that high speed
anyway since I don't need any more coasters/ornaments. I made enough under
Windows for a lifetime. ;-) The Mitsumi still makes usable install disks or
anything else I need. I'll worry when it doesn't.

> It looks as if I need to rewrite some 'cdrecord' files to get your
> values. Hav'nt found the files yet, if you know what file please let me
> know.The /usr/bin/cdrecord is not a script file, referred to as 'Type
> unknown 238.9 KB.' in 'Properties'.

That's the actual executable. Read this file:

file:/usr/doc/cdrdao-1.1.6/README

and this page:

http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/utils/uiso.html

for more than I ever wanted to know. I don't think you really need to change
any of the cdrecord code. :-) Just have to figure out what's causing you
grief.

> It really is very kind of you to spend the time on my problems. I hope I
> may return the pleasure to another some day. I suppose that is the
> 'Linux' community way.

Malcolm since I'm disabled you are actually doing me a favour by posing an
interesting problem that I may be able to help solve. Before I became a
"computer chair potato" I was called a work-a-holic, and still have those
nasty urges. So you're very welcome for any small help I've been able to
offer you.

Plus I have a rare incurable disorder that relates.

It's called insatiable curiosity. :-)

> Anyway thanks you really are a star.
>
> Malcolm Candlish.

Regards;