On Saturday 02 November 2002 08:49 am, Malcolm Candlish wrote:
> Dear Charlie,
Hello Malcolm; (interspersed)

> It's getting worse! 'cdrecord -scanbus' seems to have lost the plot. I
> have copied the results as follows:-
>
> [root@localhost malcolm]# cdrecord -V speed=0 dev=0,3,0 -eject
> /home/malcolm/mtdir-25oct02.raw

That capital V is incorrect, it should be -v for "verbose." Also 'speed=0'
isn't going to do a thing you want. You'll have to change that to a value of
1,2,3 or4 to fit the capabilities of the Mitsumi. It actually won't burn
anything at zero ya know. As far as writing a raw file from a mount directory
goes I've never tried it. RAW is supposed to be one of the supported formats
but I'll have to find what flags to use with it. I'll get back to you on
that.

Have you neglected your daily caffeine intake? "speed=0"??? ;)

> Cdrecord 1.11a32 (i586-mandrake-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2002 Jörg
> Schilling
> scsidev: '0,3,0'
> scsibus: 0 target: 3 lun: 0
> cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/pg3'. Cannot open
> SCSI driver.

Because you gave it conflicting commands.

> cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you
> are root.
> [root@localhost malcolm]# cdrecord -scanbus
> Cdrecord 1.11a32 (i586-mandrake-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2002 Jörg
> Schilling
> cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/pg*'. Cannot open
> SCSI driver.

Conflict because it's still trying to execute the previous command maybe?

> cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you
> are root.
> [root@localhost malcolm]#  ##What on earth is /dev/pg3, I have no
> /dev/pg files!

Interesting question here. I'm on a research run looking for a reason for
this. I'll let you know when I find something unless one of the people that
_know_ what the devil they're about are willing to throw us a bone? It would
help (probably) to check /etc/fstab to see whether it's recognized as a valid
drive. Also check /etc/mtab (mount table) and /etc/lilo.conf. Maybe post
those here? If you have posted them in the past sorry, I'll have to read
through the whole thread again to be sure I don't duplicate previous efforts.

It almost seems the scsi emulation module (or kernel driver, I can never
remember which it is) isn't loading, or the cd-rw can't be mounted any
longer; maybe because of of the conflicting command you used. If that's the
case a reboot may take care of it. Or is it just displaying all of this
'cause you told it to burn at zero burn speed? If so it may be that simply
logging out and back in may do it. Honest Malcolm, I ain't givin' you a hard
time about that speed=0 thing!

Much. :-)

> Before I reinstall Mandrake 9.0 to get back where I was, I am wondering
> if my file system which is ext3 may make a difference. Is that your
> system?

I have /boot, and /root mounted ext3 but the rest of my drives and partitions
are XFS. Shouldn't make a difference since ext3 is mostly journalling and a
few other goodies tacked onto ext2 (linux native) anyway. I don't think it
would make a difference anyway.

> I am grateful for your help, this is driving me crazy and pleased to
> recompense you for your trouble; after all I would have to pay with
> MandrakeExpert and this I will do for you. Please let me know your
> postal address.

We can correspond here or via off list e-mail or by snail mail all you like
and thank you, but recompense isn't being sought, nor would it be accepted in
any event Malcom. I am not an expert at anything more technical than twisting
words into funny patterns; and refuse to recognise any such characterization
of myself. If I have ever helped anyone my only request would be that the
beneficiary pass it on in the same spirit it's offered. Free; and happily so.
Free advice is worth what you pay for it most times. <grin>

> The file:/usr/doc/cdrdao-1.1.6/README was not installed on my system.

Probably 'cause you don't have cdrdao installed. My bad, sorry.

<snip>

--
Charlie
Edmonton,AB,Canada