On Wednesday 06 November 2002 03:53 am, Malcolm Candlish wrote:
> Dear Charlie,
>
> Thought I would let you know that the problem is solved!!! Nothing very
> technical simply the CD-RW in the writer did not function. It was a
> Memorex High speed 8X 12X, nor would it work with WinXP/Nero. Other
> CD-Rs work well. It appears that a 4X speed writer will not work on a
> higher speed disc.
>
> Anyway, thank you for guiding me to the final destination. Your a
> 'STAR'.
>
> Best wishes,
> Malcolm.

<snip>

Hello Malcolm;

If my small "assistance" was of any value you are very welcome and I'm
delighted. I'm very happy that you solved the problem since my brain was
starting to hurt trying to come up with a solution that made sense. Or was
that a "weather change" migraine? Hmmmm ;-)

The CD-R that you used is also probably a high speed media type. It must be
the difference in the recording substrate that won't accept a lower speed and
a lower intensity laser for a CD-RW. I've never had that problem since all my
CD-RWs are rated for minimum speeds well within the operating envelope of the
Mitsumi.

Too weird in any event.

Kudos for not giving in or giving up. I've known a few people that ran back to
Windows screaming "Linux is too hard!" over less puzzling difficulties.
You've done well my friend.

Regards;
--
Charlie