On Wednesday November 6 2002 10:20 am, Miark wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Nov 2002 09:02:37 -0700
>
> Charlie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > The CD-R that you used is also probably a high speed media type. It
> > must be the difference in the recording substrate that won't accept
> > a lower speed and a lower intensity laser for a CD-RW. I've never
> > had that problem since all my CD-RWs are rated for minimum speeds
> > well within the operating envelope of the Mitsumi.
>
> Run "cdrecord -atip dev=0,0,0" or whatever you dev is, and the CD
> will report what speeds it's good for. I was surprised to find a set
> new CDs I that bought said they had a minimum speed of 4. I was
> surprised at the time, but it makes more sense now, considering laser
> power levels.
>
> Miark

    These are _real_ cheap generic CDR's from OfficeMax, $11 for a 50
spindle.  I can always write successfully to 'em a 8x (max for my
burner). I suspect 'Indicated writing power: 5' (below) doesn't refer
to max writing speed as (IRRC) the label on the spindle said they were
good for 16x. FWIW tho, anything important to me I burn at 4x.

tom$ cdrecord -atip dev=0,3,0
Cdrecord 1.11a36 (i586-mandrake-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2002 Jörg
Schilling
scsidev: '0,3,0'
scsibus: 0 target: 3 lun: 0
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.24
Using libscg version 'schily-0.6'
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 1
Vendor_info    : 'PLEXTOR '
Identifikation : 'CD-R   PX-W8432T'
Revision       : '1.09'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc CD-RW.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags   : MMC SWABAUDIO
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96P
RAW/R96R
ATIP info from disk:
  Indicated writing power: 5
  Is not unrestricted
  Is not erasable
  Disk sub type: Medium Type A, low Beta category (A-) (2)
  ATIP start of lead in:  -11634 (97:26/66)
  ATIP start of lead out: 359849 (79:59/74)
Disk type:    Short strategy type (Phthalocyanine or similar)
Manuf. index: 3
Manufacturer: CMC Magnetics Corporation