Dear Charlie,

It's getting worse! 'cdrecord -scanbus' seems to have lost the plot. I
have copied the results as follows:-

[root@localhost malcolm]# cdrecord -V speed=0 dev=0,3,0 -eject
/home/malcolm/mtdir-25oct02.raw
Cdrecord 1.11a32 (i586-mandrake-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2002 Jörg
Schilling
scsidev: '0,3,0'
scsibus: 0 target: 3 lun: 0
cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/pg3'. Cannot open
SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you
are root.
[root@localhost malcolm]# cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord 1.11a32 (i586-mandrake-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2002 Jörg
Schilling
cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/pg*'. Cannot open
SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you
are root.
[root@localhost malcolm]#  ##What on earth is /dev/pg3, I have no
/dev/pg files!

Before I reinstall Mandrake 9.0 to get back where I was, I am wondering
if my file system which is ext3 may make a difference. Is that your
system?

I am grateful for your help, this is driving me crazy and pleased to
recompense you for your trouble; after all I would have to pay with
MandrakeExpert and this I will do for you. Please let me know your
postal address.

The file:/usr/doc/cdrdao-1.1.6/README was not installed on my system.