You should look into getting one of those walmart Microtel machines if you want something cheap.  What gets me is that alot of the reviewers bash them because they're slow.  HELLO!?!  Look at the price!  Of course they're not going to have the speed and performance of a 2GHz + computer.  But if you want a plain old workstation for cheap... not to mention a free OS, they can't be beat.
More importantly, Walmart has snubbed their nose at Microsoft.  Why?  Because Walmart is one of the few companies that can't be bought by Microsoft.  First, they don't rely on PC sales to keep them in business.  Second, they are BIGGER than Microsoft.  If Microsoft threatened to pull their licenses because Walmart is selling PC's with alternative or no OS on them, then Walmart can afford to give them the finger.
What I like best about it though, is if Walmart is selling PC's with Linux on them, then you know some slack-jawed yokel in Po-dunk, Arkansas is using Linux right now!  And probably doesn't even know the difference!
That's how the war will be won in the end I think.   ;-)

Todd F.