On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 22:48, Todd Franklin wrote:

> You should look into getting one of those walmart Microtel machines if
> you want something cheap.  What gets me is that alot of the reviewers
> bash them because they're slow.  HELLO!?!  Look at the price!  Of course
> they're not going to have the speed and performance of a 2GHz +
> computer.  But if you want a plain old workstation for cheap... not to
> mention a free OS, they can't be beat.
> More importantly, Walmart has snubbed their nose at Microsoft.  Why?
>  Because Walmart is one of the few companies that can't be bought by
> Microsoft.  First, they don't rely on PC sales to keep them in business.
>  Second, they are BIGGER than Microsoft.  If Microsoft threatened to
> pull their licenses because Walmart is selling PC's with alternative or
> no OS on them, then Walmart can afford to give them the finger.
> What I like best about it though, is if Walmart is selling PC's with
> Linux on them, then you know some slack-jawed yokel in Po-dunk, Arkansas
> is using Linux right now!  And probably doesn't even know the difference!
> That's how the war will be won in the end I think.   ;-)
>
> Todd F.

I get a kick out of seeing the looks on a customers face when I tell
them a brand new PC desktop setup costs $1100AUD WITHOUT Microsoft
Windows 98SE or Microsoft WindowsXP - then $1600AUD for the same system
WITH either of those OS's...(I won't sell -inexpensive computers-
because I don't want to have them coming back for this or that - AND,
when I show them an MS system and a linux system side-by-side, the linux
system's speed always wins hands-down).

The majority of the public doesn't fully understand the market - and
that's because the market isn't being "policed" - it's a "buyer beware"
market.

There is no such thing as free software when you're talking about OEM
loads of OS and "others". Gateway WON'T sell "desktops" without an OS
because then they'd not really make much off the system. Ditto with
other companies. Y'all remember the old ploy by Hewlett-Packard "Comes
with $1500 of software free!" - BS - complete BS.

Meanwhile, having "yokels" running LINUX is actually a good thing - as
I've stated before. If they've never run an OS before, this is a good
start for them. Doesn't matter if it's Lindows or any other flavor of
linux - but it's linux. Flood the market with it. Once people realize
that overall, they've less "virus" worries running linux, they're going
to dig on that anyways.

--
Thu Nov 14 07:00:00 EST 2002

--------------------------------
|            __    __          |
|           /  \ /| |'-.       |
|          .\__/ || |   |      |
|       _ /  `._ \|_|_.-'      |
|      | /  \__.`=._) (_       |kuhn media australia
|      |/ ._/  |"""""""""|     |http://kma.0catch.com
|      |'.  `\ |         |     |stephen kuhn
|      ;"""/ / |         |     |email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|  smk  ) /_/| |.-------.|     |mobile: 0410-728-389
|      '  `-`' "         "     |linux user:267497

Pelorat sighed.
        "I will never understand people."
        "There's nothing to it.  All you have to do is take a close look
at yourself and you will understand everyone else.  How would Seldon
have
worked out his Plan -- and I don't care how subtle his mathematics was
--
if he didn't understand people; and how could he have done that if
people