OK. I am ready to start kicking things...

I have my MDK 9 server running. I want to share some folders. I thought
there was a suggestion that using NFS was more secure and faster than Samba,
so I decided to make that happen.

I am confused as to the correct verbiage to get my home folder on the server
to be seen, read, written to from my Linux workstations (I'll worry about
whether NFS can work for the Win boxes or if I need to use Samba,
instead --- for later!) What I really want to do is have each workstation
given access to folders only if their login/user name matches the folder's
rights. All I can seem to gather is that I should be able to have the host
name of machines qualify for access, not the users. Am I missing something
here?

Until I understand what the correct commands are, I will be in circular
hell. When I try to mount from a workstation as root, I am denied access by
the server, wanting my user name instead. If I try to mount under my user
name, I am told (not very nicely)....'only root can do dat!' NO kidding!
ARGH!

My exports file is really simple:

/home/username workstation (rw)

It did have the 'no_root_squash' option in there before, but I took it out
thinking that it would allow me to log in as root to mount. Nope.

I made sure that I used the 'exportfs -a -v' command after making changes,
and I made sure that the 'nfs' and mfslock' daemons were running.

I have been using RH book for instructions, so I wasn't sure if the
following command 'didn't' work because of the differences in distros or
because I am missing something:

'ps ax | nfsd'    yields a bad command reply. Does that makes sense?

Can someone give me the syntax for exporting a home directory so that only
the rightful user of that home, regardless of what machine he is on, can
mount it on said machine? And maybe tell me if I am missing something that
is being obvious to me?

TIA