Thanks, Derek.

I must have read wrong then. That's fine, I can use Samba instead.

What bugs me is that the "Red Hat 8 Bible" makes no mention of the
'/etc/hosts.allow'  and '/etc/hosts.deny' files for this. Is this one of
those distro differences that I fell under by reading the wrong book?

The book also says that NFS 'will' work with Windows is the boxes are
running the client software. Here's a quote from the book. Maybe I just
misread this:

"By centralizing data and applications on a file server, you can accomplish
several goals:
<snip)
+ Transparency ---- Using protocols such as NFS, clients of your file server
(Windows, Linux, UNIX systems) can connect your file systems to their local
file systems as if your file systems existed locally."

Well, of course they can. That's what file sharing is about. I guess in
reading it over (again and again and again) I see that it is referring to
Linux clients, with the Windows machines as possible servers to get the
shares from, not the other way around. Right?

BTW, I did go into MCC and tried connecting that way. I had to make MCC
search for the server and then it just wouldn't let me do anything once it
found it. And I believe I did NOT place a space between the host name and
switches, but that is a good caution to remember.

So, what you are saying is that it was not an 'authentication' problem that
was causing the server to deny my access? It could be mismatched UID's
or...I have a feeling the firewall is the key. When I installed MDK 9, I
kept the security level on 'Medium'. Should I have installed without? Do I
really need it? The server is on the same LAN segment as the rest of my
network, which is connected to the firewall/gateway, seperating the metwork
from the outside world. I do not have a static IP. Can I just drop the
services to get rid of the firewall,, or should I just open it up? Or will
Samba get past all this and I should just forget I ever bothered with NFS?

Thanks for the help, Derek