On Friday 15 Nov 2002 1:02 am, Technoslick wrote:
> Thanks, Derek.
>
> I must have read wrong then. That's fine, I can use Samba instead.
>
> What bugs me is that the "Red Hat 8 Bible" makes no mention of the
> '/etc/hosts.allow'  and '/etc/hosts.deny' files for this. Is this one of
> those distro differences that I fell under by reading the wrong book?

No. RedHat hosts.allow/hosts.deny is part of the inetd system which is used
very widely in RedHat  I believe Mandrake uses it less than RedHat do. The
RedHat book explains inetd in detail. Also look at the NFS tutorial at
www.mandrakeuser.org  (It is a bit out of date now, but it covers
hosts.allow)

> The book also says that NFS 'will' work with Windows is the boxes are
> running the client software. Here's a quote from the book. Maybe I just
> misread this:

Well as Stephen pointed out, there are Windows clients.

> + Transparency ---- Using protocols such as NFS, clients of your file
> server (Windows, Linux, UNIX systems) can connect your file systems to
> their local file systems as if your file systems existed locally."

NFS is certainly transparent. The files are mounted as if they are part of
your file system.

> So, what you are saying is that it was not an 'authentication' problem that
> was causing the server to deny my access? It could be mismatched UID's
> or...I have a feeling the firewall is the key.

Unmatched UIDs can cause all sorts of problems. For example If a user is UID
502 on Box B and tries to mount a share owned by UID501 on Box A, the mount
will work, but you will not be able to read or write any files. On the other
hand you *will* be able to write to files in a directory owned by UID502 on
BoxA

>When I installed MDK 9, I
> kept the security level on 'Medium'. Should I have installed without? Do I
> really need it?
I use security level Medium as well and NFS works fine. But that has nothing
to do with your firewall.  I do not run a firewall on my workstation, because
I have an external hardware firewall protecting my internal Lan segment.

>The server is on the same LAN segment as the rest of my
> network, which is connected to the firewall/gateway, seperating the metwork
> from the outside world. I do not have a static IP. Can I just drop the
> services to get rid of the firewall,, or should I just open it up?

Just like my network ;- Unless you do not trust your hardware firewall, then a
firewall on your workstation is unnecessary.

>Or will
> Samba get past all this and I should just forget I ever bothered with NFS?

Samba has its own issues. Such as the fact that file attributes do not
transfer over the network (just like a FAT32 partition in Windows), but in
general, there is no reason why you cannot use Samba as a universal medium
for file sharing across Windows and Linux computers. (BTW: A firewall will
screw up Samba too)

Personally I use both. But that is only because NFS is really quite easy to
set up so long as you do not read over complicated HOWTOs, and just use the
Mandrake GUI.  ;)  Samba is harder ;)  (But not too hard so long as you just
read the default /etc/samba/smb.conf file and just remove the comments where
appropriate)

> Thanks for the help, Derek

No problemo

derek