On Friday 15 November 2002 06:31 am, you wrote:
> Thanks, DL!
>
> What you and Derek have pointed out to me is pretty much the same, and what
> I can't use. While I do have a completely trust network (hey! it's all
> mine!), I 'must' have directories exported off the server that are only to
> be accessed by me and/or my wife. I also would like to have the kids have
> their own secured area, though as an administrator, I get to 'looky-see'
> and 'touch'. I had my previous NT server set-up this way and everyone
> happy. It appears to get this kind of security from NFS is either not
> possible, or going to be difficult in that I need to do some cryptic things
> in my set-up.

I'm afraid you've gone out of my range now, sorry! I didn't need anything
this exotic so the standard exports in NFS worked for me. I suppose you could
export a ".directory" thus making it hidden. Would that be good enough? I
don't know about Samba here...

> One concern I had with Samba in the past was the problem in
> authentication/synchronization with an Windows PDC not using plain text
> passwords (which it never uses.) Something to do with the fact that Samba
> couldn't work with encrypted passwords. Anyway, that looks to be history
> now, as I am hoping not to need to run a second server with Win 2K
> Server/Adv Server for anyone's benefit. The mount/umount thing could be a
> problem for my family members, though. This is another area where M$ has
> spoiled us all rotten! Is there a way to script it so that on logging off
> (is there also the same concern for halt or reboot?) the Samba mounts are
> cleanly disconnected without hanging the PC up? And, is the unmounting of
> Samba shares from a Win PC also necessary for the benefit of client or
> server?
>
> TIA

Wish I could help you there. I'm sure there is some sort of scripting that
should check if a client/server is up and running (or not) and what to do
from there. Its just beyond my experience/ability. I hope you find what you
need. I wish I could have helped more...

See ya later!

--
                                                                          /\
                                                                  Dark< >Lord