Thanks, DL!

What you and Derek have pointed out to me is pretty much the same, and what
I can't use. While I do have a completely trust network (hey! it's all
mine!), I 'must' have directories exported off the server that are only to
be accessed by me and/or my wife. I also would like to have the kids have
their own secured area, though as an administrator, I get to 'looky-see' and
'touch'. I had my previous NT server set-up this way and everyone happy. It
appears to get this kind of security from NFS is either not possible, or
going to be difficult in that I need to do some cryptic things in my set-up.

One concern I had with Samba in the past was the problem in
authentication/synchronization with an Windows PDC not using plain text
passwords (which it never uses.) Something to do with the fact that Samba
couldn't work with encrypted passwords. Anyway, that looks to be history
now, as I am hoping not to need to run a second server with Win 2K
Server/Adv Server for anyone's benefit. The mount/umount thing could be a
problem for my family members, though. This is another area where M$ has
spoiled us all rotten! Is there a way to script it so that on logging off
(is there also the same concern for halt or reboot?) the Samba mounts are
cleanly disconnected without hanging the PC up? And, is the unmounting of
Samba shares from a Win PC also necessary for the benefit of client or
server?

TIA