On Friday November 15 2002 09:42 am, Terry Sheltra wrote:
> I would like to get everyone's two cents worth about this.  I am
> curious to know what everyone thinks.  Now that Apple has OS X (which
> is Unix-based), will drivers for hardware start to become more
> readily available as hardware manufacturers start to make drivers for
> OS X? Would it be easier to create a Linux driver from a OS X driver,
> since the two OS's are much closer than Linux and Window$?  I know I
> am probably going to open up a whole great big can of worms with
> this, but I am curious if things will start to change a little for
> the better.

   OSX is based on FreeBSD, and the BSD license allows for closed
proprietary source and specs.  Cross licensing agreements and side
deals between many hardware vendors and M$, also include Apple (mostly
thru agreements with M$).  I think while the Linux community of
developers will certainly not be included in any info shared with
Apple, there may be some trickle down affect. For instance, it wasn't
long after QuickTime was ported to OSX, that mysteriously open source
Linux apps (Xine, then Mplayer) also gained the ability to play QT
files.